Thursday 19 June 2014

L.A. Bound

hey everyone

so the latest news in the life of Tim is my upcoming education in LA, at the New York Film Academy.  two Januarys ago i auditioned for the Masters program, and subsequently received the largest scholarship available for my program.  I was honoured at a reception for 700 participants with one of two top prizes awarded.   The other went to Oklahoma's Tinasha LaRaye, who is in LA pursuing her career as we speak.  I actually went for breakfast with her while checking out the school this past January, and also got to spend time with an old friend, Lennette Randall, who was attending the school at the time of my visit.

that's the macro-news, here's the micro-news...today i finished my application for an I-20, which is what will get me into the country on a student visa basis.  the whole process is a bit complicated to explain, but the really tricky part was coming up with a large enough lump sum to satisfy the school's "Verification of Resources" form.  This isn't money i'll necessarily use...i plan to live somewhat off the rental income i'm making in Saskatoon.  But the rules are that i have to show the ability to pay for my entire remaining tuition and living expenses while at school.  so i re-negotiated my mortgage.  this involved a lot of prayer, as the bank rep made it clear my application was most unlikely, with my decreased earnings the next few years.  in the end, they did qualify me for a modest amount, which left me with $67, 892.16 of credit on my RBC homeline plan.

that's $62,458.29 American.

The amount i needed to show the school?  2 years of living expenses in LA and remaining tuition;

$62,431.00 American.

God is so good!  Thank you Father.   upwards and onwards!

2 comments:

  1. I guess you're committed to L.A. now! -- that's a pile of dough. Congrats on the scholarship. You ROCK! (Maki)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, that is so AWESOME, in the true sense of the word. I have so often seen God's provision in my life coming from unexpected directions. Thank you for this confirmation and reminder.

    I too can share: As Tom comes to retirement with a pension that will bring less than half of his usual earnings, I am regularly smacked with heart palpitations as I am the money manager in the family. Each time, I push them back and remind myself of the many times God has come to our rescue when we couldn't do it ourselves. Over these last 2 weeks, we have had not 1, not 2 but THREE extra monetary injections from completely unanticipated sources.

    These won't see us through the rest of our lives at all but I see them as great, gracious confirmations from God that He's got our backs.

    Grateful, I am,
    DMKS

    ReplyDelete